For an organized look at clutter, we divided the categories of clutter as follows. We call these cluttergories.
- Physical Physical clutter is stuff that gets in the way; material things that block our path, or that we trip over.
- Mental Mental clutter includes thoughts, worries, emotions, and regrets that distract and drain us.
- Digital Digital clutter refers to anything in virtual form—such as photos stored in our computers, a backlog of emails, or too many social media accounts.
- TemporalTemporal clutter is when we fill our days with so many activities we can’t focus on any one. People who say they’re too busy are often suffering from temporal clutter.
- SensualSensual clutter is when we fill our lives with too much of anything that affects our senses—noise, touch, scents, tastes, sights.
What are some of the cluttergories in your life?
PHEW! What happened to 2016? We’re 11/12 of the way through the year and if you’re saying this, it could be due to too much temporal clutter! Even I, a STUFFologist – an expert in decluttering the cluttergories of our lives – have lots going on and feel involved in too many things! Sometimes, we […]
Retired psychiatrist and fellow Toastmaster, Harald Krueger leaves us on tenterhooks with his parody of STUFFology 101. He says, “Throw it out. Throw it all out!” But does he really mean it? See for yourself as he rips through each of the cluttergories – physical, mental, digital, temporal, and sensual. It’s just too funny to […]
When one part of our lives grows cluttered, so do other parts of our lives. Hence, the term we’ve coined to describe various areas of clutter – cluttergories. When we think of clutter, it often deals with physical clutter—the stuff that makes us fear judgment by others. What kind of person do we become when […]
What’s on your mind? Have you ever been asked this question and wondered, “Where do I start?” We lead busy lives with endless items added daily at the workplace, at home, and elsewhere. So much input leads to mental clutter. Mental clutter includes thoughts, worries, emotions, and regrets that distract and drain us. I view […]
It’s amazing what happens when we take steps to de-clutter. With tax season coming, we’ve run out of space to file our paperwork. My husband had removed older records from the filing cabinet, which made it so much easier to file current paperwork. Now, the IRS requires us to save the last seven years of […]
I enjoy lawn decorations as part of our Christmas décor. My daughters have helped me with set up and tear down of the various decorations over the years. Traditionally, we start setting them up the day after Thanksgiving. Then we start to remove them the day, or at least the weekend, after New Year’s. 2015 […]